Below are my over-arching goals for the next 10 years. I plan to develop each goal (make them more specific and measurable) and break them down over a series of blog posts as I work my way through them. I expect some of these goals will change and I may not be able to achieve all of them, but I should be able to make progress.
Short Term Goals (over the next year)
- Start a family (have a baby and/or adopt).
- Travel within the US several times per year and once internationally using points (utilizing basic travel hacking via credit cards).
- Improve my fitness level (work out 3-5 times/ week) and nutrition (prepare well-balanced meals at home and increase our vegetable consumption).
- Start one or more side hustles to eventually match my earned income.
- Run and manage a successful blog.
- Get a new job and increase my pay by $10-15K/year.
- Attend FinCon 2017.
- Increase our net worth by $100K.
Medium Term Goals (over the next 1-5 years)
- Move closer to my parents to spend time with them and help them as they get older.
- Learn to garden and grow my own vegetables.
- Have a $1 Million net worth by 2020.
- Become financially independent by 2022 (specifically, have $10,000/month in passive income to allow us to cover our expenses, continue to save, do some traveling and enjoy the freedom of choosing to work a traditional job, or not).
- Find a way to give back to the local community.
- Continue our domestic and international travels.
- Increase my income by $25-50K/year (via traditional job and side hustles).
Long Term Goals (over the next 5-10 years)
- Live intercontinentally – not sure that’s a term, but my husband and I both have family in Europe and we’d like to eventually split our time between Europe and the U.S.
- Own (or rent) a waterfront home (on a big lake or ocean) with the ability to spend significant time in the home.
- Open a financial academy geared toward teaching personal finance to teens and adults.
- Learn a foreign language.
- Expose our kids to rural and urban life, as well as other cultures with family adventures.
Find a way to finance your goals in 2017!
Get the latest posts & tips to help you finance your goals.